Living systems may be thought of as complex, nonlinear, dynamic, self-organizing energetic and field phenomena with negative entropy. At the highest level of organization, each life form may possess an innate biologic field, or biofield. This energy field maintains the integrity of the whole organism; regulates its physiologic and biochemical responses; and is integral to development, healing, and regeneration. Energy medicine refers to several systems that work with energy fields of the body to help restore health. Many energy-related therapies challenge the current biomedical paradigm because they cannot be explained by conventional biochemical or physiological mechanisms. Quantum physics is a better paradigm with which to understand these therapies.
1. Rubik B, Pavek R. Manual healing methods. In: Alternative Medicine: Expanding Medical Horizons: A Report to the National Institutes of Health on Alternative Medical Systems and Practices in the United States. NIH Publication No. 94-066. Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office; 1994.
2. Rubik B. Can Western science provide a foundation for acupuncture? Altern Ther Health Med. 1995;1(4):41–7.
3. Rubik B. The unifying concept of information in acupuncture and other energy medicine modalities. J Altern Complement Med. 1997;3(suppl 1):S67.
4. Rubik B. Scientific analysis of the aura. In: Heinze RI, ed. Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on the Study of Shamanism and Alternative Modes of Healing. San Raphael, CA: Santa Sabina Center, Dominican University; September 1–3, 2002.
5. Gerber R. Vibrational Medicine: New Choices for Healing Ourselves. Sante Fe, NM: Bear & Co.; 1988.
6. Gonzalez MJ, Olalde J, Rodriguez JR, et al. Metabolic correction and physiologic modulation as the unifying theory of the healthy state: the orthomolecular, systemic and functional approach to physiologic optimization. J Ortomol Med. 2018;33(1):1–12.
7. Warburg O. On the origin of cancer cells. Science. 1956;123:309–14.
8. Mikirova NA, Casciari JJ, Gonzalez MJ, et al. Bioenergetics of human cancer cells and normal cells during proliferation and differentiation. Cancer Ther Oncol Int J. 2017;3:555623.
9. Seyfried TN, Shelton LM. Cancer as a metabolic disease. Nutr Metab (Lond). 2010;7:7.
10. Gonzalez MJ, Miranda Massari JR, Duconge J, et al. The bio-energetic theory of carcinogenesis. Med Hypotheses. 2012;79:433–9.
11. Pollack GH. The Fourth Phase of Water: Beyond Solid, Liquid, and Vapor. Seattle, WA: Ebner and Sons; 2013.
12. Lakhovsky G, Clement M. The Secret of Life: Cosmic Rays and Radiations of Living Beings. London: William Heinemann; 1939.
13. Gonzalez MJ, Seyfried TG, Nicolson GL, et al. Mitochondrial correction: a new therapeutic paradigm for cancer and degenerative diseases. J Ortomol Med. 2018;33(4).
14. Morell F, Scott AJ. The MORA Concept: Patients’ Own and Coloured Light Oscillations – Theory and Practice. Stuttgart, Germany: Karl F Haug Verlag GmbH & Co.; 1990.
15. Popp FA, Li KH, Gu Q, eds. Recent Advances in Biophoton Research and Its Applications. River Edge, NJ: World Scientific Publishing; 1992.
16. Karu T. Mitochondrial mechanisms of photobiomodulation in context of new data about multiple roles of ATP. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010;28:159–60.
17. Mikhailov VA, Skobelkin OK, Denisov IN, et al. Investigations on the influence of low level diode laser irradiation of the growth of experimental tumors. Laser Ther. 1993;5:33–8.
18. Wang SM, Kain ZN, White PF. Acupuncture analgesia: II. Clinical considerations. Anesth Analg. 2008;106:611–21.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.