Insomnia and sleep disturbance are common in children and adolescents. Parents and medical providers often wonder whether melatonin supplementation is a safe choice in these age groups. Small-scale studies suggest that long-term melatonin supplementation safely and effectively treats sleep onset insomnia in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and/or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Documented side effects have been minimal and relatively benign. This paper is a brief review of the clinical indications, side effects, and potential long-term implications of supplementing melatonin in children.
1. Black LI, Clarke TC, Barnes PM, et al. Use of complementary health approaches among children aged 4-17 years in the United States: National Health Interview Survey, 2007–2012. Natl Health Stat Report. 2015;10(78):1–19.
2. Owens JA, Rosen CL, Mindell JA. Medication use in the treatment of pediatric insomnia: results of a survey of community-based pediatricians. Pediatrics. 2003;111(5):e628–35. doi: 10.1542/peds.111.5.e628.
3. Hoebert M, van der Heijden KB, van Geiijlswijk IM, Smits MG. Long-term follow-up of melatonin treatment in children with ADHD and chronic sleep onset insomnia [published online ahead of print May 27, 2009]. J Pineal Res. 2009;47(1):1–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2009.00681.x.
4. Maras A, Schroder CM, Malow BA, et al. Long-term efficacy and safety of pediatric prolonged-release melatonin for insomnia in children with autism spectrum disorder [published online ahead of print October 11, 2018]. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2018;28(10):699–710. doi: 10.1089/cap.2018.0020.
5. Sánchez-Barceló EJ, Mediavilla MD, Reiter RJ. Clinical uses of melatonin in pediatrics. Int J Pediatr. 2011;2011:892624. doi: 10.1155/2011/892624.
6. Yamakawa GR, Salberg S, Barlow KM, et al. Manipulating cognitive reserve: pre-injury environmental conditions influence the severity of concussion symptomology, gene expression, and response to melatonin treatment in rats. Exp Neurol. 2017;295:55–65.
7. Osier N, McGreevy E, Pham L, et al. Melatonin as a therapy for traumatic brain injury: a review of published evidence. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(5):1539. doi: 10.3390/ijms19051539.
8. Fulia F, Gitto E, Cuzzocrea S, et al. Increased levels of malondialdehyde and nitrite/nitrate in the blood of asphyxiated newborns: reduction by melatonin. J Pineal Res. 2001;31(4):343–9.
9. Aly H, Elmahdy H, El-Dib M, et al. Melatonin use for neuroprotection in perinatal asphyxia: a randomized controlled pilot study [published online ahead of print November 13, 2014]. J Perinatol. 2015;35(3):186–91. doi: 10.1038/jp.2014.186.
10. Machida M, Dubousset J, Yamada T, Kimura J. Serum melatonin levels in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis prediction and prevention for curve progression—a prospective study. J Pineal Res. 2009;46:344–8.
11. Sánchez-Barceló EJ, Mediavilla MD, Tan DX, Reiter RJ. Scientific basis for the potential use of melatonin in bone diseases: osteoporosis and adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. J Osteoporos. 2010;2010:830231. doi: 10.4061/2010/830231.
12. Moreau A, Wang DS, Forget S, et al. Melatonin signaling dysfunction in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2004;29(16):1772–81.
13. Arruda MA, Guidetti V, Galli F, et al. Frequent headaches in the preadolescent pediatric population: a population-based study. Neurol. 2010;74(11):903–8. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e3181d561a2.
14. Mostafavi SA, Mohammadi MR, Hosseinzadeh P, et al. Dietary intake, growth and development of children with ADHD in a randomized clinical trial of Ritalin and Melatonin co-administration: through circadian cycle modification or appetite enhancement? Iran J Psychiatry. 2012;7(3):114–9.
15. Schroder CM, Malow BA, Maras A, et al. Pediatric prolonged-release melatonin for sleep in children with autism spectrum disorder: impact on child behavior and caregiver’s quality of life. J Autism Dev Disord. 2019;49(8):3218–30. doi: 10.1007/s10803-019-04046-5.
16. National Library of Medicine (US). Smith-Magenis syndrome. Genetics Home Reference: The Library. Available from: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/smithmagenis- syndrome. Reviewed October 2017. Accessed January 7, 2020.
17. van Geijlswijk IM, van der Heijden KB, Egberts AC, et al. Dose finding of melatonin for chronic idiopathic childhood sleep onset insomnia: an RCT. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010;212(3):379–91. doi: 10.1007/s00213-010-1962-0.
18. van Geijlswijk IM, Mol RH, Egberts TC, Smits MG. Evaluation of sleep, puberty and mental health in children with long-term melatonin treatment for chronic idiopathic childhood sleep onset insomnia [published online ahead of print February 22, 2011]. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2011;216(1):111–20. doi: 10.1007/s00213-011-2202-y.
19. Goldman RD. ADHD stimulants and their effect on height in children. Can Fam Physician. 2010;56(2):145–6.
20. Matsumoto M, Sack RL, Blood ML, Lewy AJ. The amplitude of endogenous melatonin production is not affected by melatonin treatment in humans. J Pineal Res. 1996;22(1):42–4. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.1997 tb00301.x.
21. Wright J, Aldhous M, Franey C, et al. The effects of exogenous melatonin on endocrine function in man. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1986;24(4):375–82.
22. Arendt J, Bojkowski C, Folkard S, et al. Some effects of melatonin and the control of its secretion in humans. Ciba Found Symp. 1985;117:266–83.
23. Melatonin. Medscape. Available from: https://reference.medscape.com/drug/n-acetyl-5-methoxytryptaminepineal-hormone-melatonin-melatonin-344545#3. Accessed January 13, 2020.
24. Day FR, Elks CE, Murray A, et al. Puberty timing associated with diabetes, cardiovascular disease and also diverse health outcomes in men and women: the UK Biobank study. Sci Rep. 2015;5:11208.
25. Zhu J, Chan YM. Adult consequences of self-limited delayed puberty. Pediatrics. 2017;139(6):e20163177.
26. Waldhauser F, Weiszenbacher G, Frisch H, et al. Fall in nocturnal serum melatonin during prepuberty and pubescence. Lancet. 1984;1(8373):362–5.
27. Waldhauser F, Boepple PA, Schemper M, et al. Serum melatonin in central precocious puberty is lower than in age-matched prepubertal children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1991;73(4):793–6.
28. Boafo A, Greenham S, Alenezi S, et al. Could longterm administration of melatonin to prepubertal children affect timing of puberty? a clinician’s perspective. Nat Sci Sleep. 2019;11:1–10. doi: 10.2147/ NSS.S181365.
29. Meredith S, Jackson K, Dudenhoeffer G, et al. Long-term supplementation with melatonin delays reproductive senescence in rats, without an effect on number of primordial follicles. Exp Gerontol. 2000;35(3):343–52.
30. Zwart TC, Smits MG, Egberts TCG, et al. Long-term melatonin therapy for adolescents and young adults with chronic sleep onset insomnia and late melatonin onset: evaluation of sleep quality, chronotype, and lifestyle factors compared to age-related randomly selected population cohorts. Healthcare. 2018;6(1):23.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.